Monday, March 21, 2005

Federal Judge Declines To Rule Immediately:

Terri Now Without Food & Water For 74 Hours



Judge James Whittemore, after a more than 2 hour hearing, said he would not rule immediately on the Schindlers' request to re-insert her feeding tube pending new litigation. He did not indicate when he would issue his ruling.

Frankly, I am not surprised by this turn of events. I didn't think the judge would issue an immediate ruling. At the very least, one has to admit that the judge has had a great deal thrown at him in a very short time.

But what does disturb me is this quote from the judge:
"I will not tell you when, how or how long it will take,'' Whittemore said.

Do I detect a little judicial arm-flexing here? I'm certain that many judges, even those uninvolved in the Schiavo case, resent the hell out of Congress' legislation last night. But I'd like to believe that the judge isn't posturing while a woman's life hangs in the balance.