Wednesday, November 12, 2003

The Generosity of St. Blog's

I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of so many of you, the virtual "parishioners" of St. Blog's. When the suggestion was first made, here and on other blogs, that I should go to Florida to offer support to Bob & Mary Schindler, and assistance to Msgr. Ted Malanowski, a large number of you stepped forward to offer to help with the expenses for my trip.

When the trip actually became a reality, you followed through and sent donations: by PayPal, by mail, and "in kind". And I received many e-mails from others who told me that they were unable to assist financially, but were praying for Terri and for me. The whole experience was an illustration of Faith in Action. I was and am humbled by your compassion and generosity.

While there are too many of you to thank here by name, there are a a few people who I feel deserve special mention: Firstly, Pete Vere of Catholic Light and Envoy Encore was of great help to me in the logistical arrangements for my trip. He also did very important work himself in reporting from the scene. The distinction of the donation sent from farthest away goes to "Chris" from New Zealand. A special thank you also goes to the man my readers will know as "Zippy" from his comments-box nom de plume. He made my flight arrangements for me, as well as offering a substantial contribution. I was particularly touched by his support because he and I have crossed verbal swords more than once over various issues. I think it was evidence of his excellent character that he was able to put aside the differences of opinion we had had and be so helpful to me.

A few donations were trickling in by mail as late as last Friday. Now that they're all in, and I have looked over the receipts and bills, I am happy to be able to fulfill the promise I made when I first undertook to go, that any donations I received over and above my expenses would go to the Terri Schindler Schiavo Foundation. Firstly, though, a word of explanation is in order: When I brought up with Bob Schindler the subject of a donation to the foundation, he was very appreciative, but said that if I knew of any other deserving persons or families that I should help them out as well. So, after discussion with him, I have given assistance to some of Terri's supporters who were in need, who had made substantial sacrifices and gone to some expense to help the Schindlers.

That being said, the amount that will be contributed to the Terri Schindler Schiavo Foundation, representing the cash donations remaining after expenses and the other assistance I mentioned above, is $2,275.00.

Thanks to all of you who made this possible. You have truly done God's work!