Friday, November 26, 2004

Giving Thanks

I hope all of you had a Happy Thanksgiving. I am away from the parish for a few days, enjoying Thanksgiving with family and friends. We had a fabulous feast yesterday, with great food and lots of great wine, including a ’94 Chateauneuf–du–Pape that was sublime. I truly have a lot to be thankful for.

But it was yesterday morning at Mass that I realized what I had to be most thankful for. I was able to concelebrate Mass at the local parish. The priest, Fr. Boniface, was most gracious and welcoming. Fr. Boniface is 86 years old, and still going strong. He’s a little stooped, and he doesn’t move very fast, but according to everyone here, he’s just as active as the other parish priests. In fact, he was out of action for about 6 months earlier this year because of broken hip (which is no joke for man his age), but now he’s back to his normal activity. In his own quiet way, he was inspiring to me. I realized that Fr. Boniface, and all the other priests like him who have been faithful to their vocations for decades, quietly doing the Lord’s work, are truly men to be thankful for.

And I’m profoundly thankful to God for allowing me to share the priesthood of Our Lord with men like Fr. Boniface. My priesthood is the thing I’m most thankful for.