Friday, May 14, 2010

The New Missal - Disaster or Opportunity?

I have a new piece up at Inside Catholic on the English translation of the new Missal that was approved last week.

The title is "The New Missal: Disaster or Opportunity?"

I take the position that it's not a disaster, but is a generational opportunity for liturgical catechesis:
The impending implementation of the new Missal reveals interesting and problematic issues regarding our expectations of liturgy and what I have elsewhere described as the "ideologization" of liturgy. Many of the objections and protests regarding the new Missal frequently arise from ideas and agendas that are neither liturgical nor theological, and hence serve neither to clarify the faith nor edify the faithful.


In the article I refer to other things I have written on ideology and liturgy. My original piece on this is here:

A Necessary Conversation About Ideologized Liturgy

Read and Enjoy!