Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Big Change Coming For Me!

I have been the Associate Pastor here at St. Joseph Catholic Church in St. Joseph, Michigan for just about four years now. And I have enjoyed my tenure here very much. I have loved the town of St. Joseph, which is a picturesque village on the southeastern shore of Lake Michigan. And I have loved my parish, and the wonderful people here.

But all things must come to an end, this side of heaven. And so, at the end of the month, I will be leaving St. Joseph, and moving on. James A. Murray, Bishop of the Diocese of Kalamazoo, has asked me to become Pastor of St. Stanislaus Parish in Dorr, Michigan. Dorr is a small community about 1/2 hour North of Kalamazoo. The parish is a small, rural one of about 250 families, with its own school. I am particularly happy to have a parish with a school, as I am a staunch supporter of Catholic Education, and it has been my experience that parishes with schools are usually more active and vibrant than those without. St. Stanislaus parish boasts one of the prettiest churches in my diocese: it was built in the early 1900's, and still has its high altar and full complement of statues. The church still even possesses its communion rail! Unlike so many beautiful churches, it managed to pass through the 70's and 80's without being "renovated". I'll post some pictures of my new church in the next few days.

I will also be given the care of St. Stanislaus' mission, Sacred Heart Church in Watson. Sacred Heart has 50 familes, and also boasts a little gem of a church.

For those of you who may wish to get some idea of where Dorr is, here is a map of the region:


Map From MapQuest.com


I take up my new assignment on June 29. I do intend to continue my blog after taking over at St. Stanislaus, but obviously I can't predict yet how much time I'll have to devote to blogging. It should also be obvious that my blogging may be a little spotty for a while, until I get settled in.

I am grateful to Bishop Murray for the confidence he has shown in me by giving me this assignment. I am humbled and grateful to Our Lord for making me His priest. I ask all of you to pray for me, that I serve the people of St. Stanislaus and Sacred Heart well.