Friday, August 22, 2003

Quote For the Day

I'm beginning a new feature on my blog, the "Quote For the Day". This will be semi-regular: Not necessarily every day, but perhaps 2-3 times a week.

Back when I was in graduate school at Catholic University, I lived in the graduate residence hall for two years. I began putting quotes up on my door almost every day. It became a popular feature of dorm life: many people made a point of checking my door every day to see what I'd put up. Sometimes people would take exception to it, which is fine.

But I'll say now what I always said then when someone would berate me for putting a particular quote up: These quotes do not necessarily represent the opinions of Fr. Rob Johansen. My posting of a quote does not mean that I endorse or agree with the opinion expressed therein. (You'll have to guess whether I agree or not - unless I happen to say so...) I post the quote because it seems to me thought-provoking, challenging, interesting, or sometimes merely entertaining.

It's my hope and intention that these quotes would spark conversation and/or debate. So weigh in!

Here's today's quote:

Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Mark Twain