Friday, June 06, 2003

Fr. Rob is Blasting Off!

As promised, here are some pictures of me launching rockets with some of the kids at our elementary school, Lake Michigan Catholic. I discovered, in testing this page, that it may not display properly in older versions of Netscape. Sorry!

Here I'm explaining how the rockets work.
These are solid-fueled model rockets: the one in this picture can fly up to 800-1000 ft.

This is that same rocket being launched.

The rocket being launched in this picture is larger, standing about 3 ft. tall. It is called the Honest John and is a scale model of an artillery missile of the same name used by the Army during the Cold War. It will fly up to 300-500 ft.

This is that same rocket being launched at a different location. Don't worry about those power lines! They're actually farther away than they look.

Needless to say, the kids had lot's of fun, and they even learned something. doing things like that isn't the reason I became a priest, but it's one of the great fringe benefits!

Finally, here's a bonus picture: This is me preaching at one of our all-school masses.

This is the reason I became a priest!