Wednesday, May 21, 2003

The Johansen Protocol

Amy Welborn's policy that any correspondence directed to her about her blog is per se bloggable is known in blogland as the "Welborn Protocol". Well, I don't know if Amy called it that herself (I suspect not), but I have no qualms, after the latest round of comment-box bloviation, about naming this new policy after myself:

Henceforth, any commentor in my blog's comment box whose comments elongate into more than two consecutive comment boxes will be warned. A second infraction will result in that person being BANNED from my comment box. Consistent and habitual running over into two consecutive boxes will also raise my hackles, earn my ire, or otherwise incur my displeasure. Once someone is banned, I will have to be highly mollified to re-admit the offending commentor, as I will be exceedingly wroth. If you have more extensive comments to make, send them to me in an e-mail and I will gladly consider publishing and responding to them. If you habitually have more than that to say, do us both a favor and get your own blog. They're free, after all.

The comment box is there as a convenience for my readers to offer their reactions and observations. When one person monopolizes the comments with lengthy excurses upon favorite hobby-horses, it violates the intention of the comments function, inconveniences other readers and commentors, and generally annoys everyone.

So let it be written, so let it be done!