Friday, January 31, 2003

I'm Back, and With a New Look!

After a long "vacation", I'm back to blogging! While I was chastened by my experience last fall, I'd say that I'm battle-scarred but wiser. One thing a little time and distance has given me is a chance to look back and see what I wrote last year with a more objective eye. Most of what I wrote I'm proud of, but some of it, I have to admit, doesn't show me at my best.

This time around, I'm going to try to stick closer to the purpose I originally stated when I started this blog. That is, to go beyond commenting merely on the events of the day and "examine what Dr. Russell Kirk would have called 'The Permanent Things'." The Permanent Things are ultimately the only things worth talking about. Also, I recognize the truth of something my friend Fr. Robert Sirico told me: It's relatively easy to react against and refute or poke fun at the inanities propagated by liberals and AmChurch modernists. It's harder to pro-actively address our nation and society's need for perennial Truth in a positive and creative way. But, of course, the latter will have far more lasting impact and importance than the former. So I intend to aim for this higher mark in the future.

But don't worry: my new resolve doesn't mean I'm going to get all "serious". I intend to re-introduce such features as the NCR Watch. While I firmly believe that liberal Catholicism is a dead end and is in the process of withering away, we have to keep an eye on it: it can still do a lot of damage as it flails about in it's death throes. I also intend to introduce several other semi-regular features. My imagination has not been idle in my blog hiatus.

Most of all, I'm going to continue to do what I have always tried to: To witness to the truth of Christ as revealed in and through the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church; to witness to the wonder and privilege of the priesthood which the Lord has graciously given me, and to proclaim the joy that is living for and in Christ.