Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Well, I took the leap, and started my own blog! Thanks to Amy Welborn, Jenny Roback Morse, Fr. Jim Tucker and others for their encouragement. Greetings to all (hopefully more than 1) of my readers!

I hope, in my blog, to comment on events of day, but to go beyond that to examine what Dr. Russell Kirk would have called "The Permanent Things". The Permanent Things are ultimately the only things worth talking about. Events, circumstances and problems, in and of themselves, are just ephemera.

Why my blog? Well, one thing I have plenty of is opinions. Some of them are insightful, prescient, scintillating (no doubt most of those are the opinions I have borrowed from others) and possibly infuriating. Some of them, I'm sure, are ill-considered, foolish, ignorant (many of these are the ones I came to on my own) and infuriating.

I've been writing now with a pretense of seriousness for about five years. I've had some book reviews and essays published here and there in journals such as The University Bookman, The Texas Education Review, and Culture Wars. I hope to have some of my writings linked or archived soon.

What I love: Christ, the Mass, the Holy Catholic Church, learning the Truth, my Mom and Dad, good music (I'm a singer, a cellist, and I do some conducting as well).

What I like: honesty, integrity, loyalty, Macintosh computers, single-malt scotch (Laphraoig and Lagavulin are my favs...) good USDA Prime beef, good cigars (Fonseca 10-10's, La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'or, and Hoyo de Monterrey Excaliburs will win my heart), fishing and hunting pheasant or quail.

What I dislike: intellectual dishonesty, deliberate obfuscation of the truth, suffering fools or foolishness (though charity requires me to do so with some regularity), deception, Windows/Intel boxes, sauerkraut and brussell sprouts.

The basic biographical information: I am a priest of the Diocese of Kalamazoo, Michigan. I'm serving at St. Joseph Catholic Church in St. Joseph, MI, which is on the Eastern shore of Lake Michigan almost directly across the lake from Chicago. I was just ordained last year, on the Feast of St. John Vianney, the patron saint of diocesan priests. So I'm what they call a "baby priest", though if you take a look at a picture of me (I hope to have some posted soon) you'll see I'm not exactly baby-sized.

I graduated from Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit. I also attended St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Phildelphia for two years, before a stint in Rome studying Latin with Fr. Reginald Foster, OCD, who is famous as "the Pope's Latinist." Prior to seminary I attended graduate school at the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC. I studied Classics and patristic Greek and Latin. I have taught Latin and Greek at the high school and college level.

Oh, and a note about the title: I'm indebted to Fr. Peter DiMaria, a priest of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, for the inspiration of my blog's title. Since those of us of a more conservative bent are often referred to as "Throwbacks", he turned the pejorative into an adjective. Somebody that's "thrown back", therefore, looks to the Tradition for guidance, not feeling the need to constantly "improve" things to suit the whim of the day.

That's enough about me. My next post, I promise, will be about Something Important.