Friday, October 19, 2007

Livin' la Dolce Vita

I don't have time for a lengthy post, because the internet cafe I'm at closes in a short time.

But I had a grea day following my Mass at St. Peter's. Frs. Shenosky, Carr, and I enjoyed a couple of leisurely cups of excellent cappucino and delicious sweet rolls. Then, as they went back to their studies, I went off and explored. First stop was the Gesù, home church of the Jesuits:

Unfortunately, the Gesù was a bit of a disappointment. It's an impressive church, of course:

The Sanctuary of the Gesù

But the reason I went there was to see the Altar of St. Ignatius. This altar has more lapis lazuli in it than exists in any other single place on earth. When I was here studying 10 years ago it was closed for restoration and could not be seen. And guess what happened this time? Yeah, closed again. Will I ever see it in this life?

After the Gesu, I went to the Basilica of San Marco, which has a wonderful 6th century mosaic in the apse. I had the lights turned on in the sanctuary, but I still couldn't get enough light for a good photo. I'll try again.

From there I went to the Roman Forum:

I studied Classics in college and graduate school, so I can never get tired of seeing the forum and imagining it in its glory.

After a full day of sightseeing, I returned to the Casa and joined Fr. Shenosky for dinner. We went to a great place near the Pantheon, which had outstanding carbonara. Talk about inspiration:

A perfect end to a perfect day.

More later!