Thursday, August 22, 2002

Relax! Breathe!

Say a prayer (or two).

Then go and read Gerard Serafin's blog for some reflections from Newman and De Lubac which, I hope, will temper all of our arguments about our hapless bishops.

Then go and read this essay by Dave Armstrong, "Why Doesn't Pope John Paul II DO Something About the Modernist Dissenters in the Catholic Church?". While it doesn't directly address The Situation and subsequent episcopal bungling, I think you'll see it has relevance for our discussion. I don't agree with every element of the author's argument, but I think he offers some insightful analysis. I'd go so far as to say it's must reading for those interested in this ongoing debate. Thanks to one of Gerard's readers for pointing out this essay.

I've been following the debate, and am preparing some additional comments in response to Rod's remarks, and your comments below. I'll have it up either later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.